OVERVIEW OF THE COURSE:
How do you select the right package to brand and protect your product, deliver it right through to your consumer, and then enable the package to be beneficially recovered? Increasingly your choice here might include a compostable pack.
Certified Compostable packaging is a potential solution to meet aspects of the Australian 2025 National Packaging Targets, so it is vital that it is considered together with the other desirable outcomes – reusability and recyclability, as our overall aim is to achieve greater circularity for packaging. Selecting the wrong pack, or not considering all aspects, can cause major issues downstream at the package recovery phase.
This course will provide some insights to explore the decision-making process, to firstly confirm that compostable packaging is the right format for the product and if so, assist in the appropriate selection. Then we will gain an understanding of the necessary consumer actions and infrastructure, that is essential to ensure compostable packaging can be recovered once discarded, so that it has a positive environmental impact in its various end uses.
- Let’s start with ‘why’? Have we firstly taken steps to reduce the packaging, then considered re-use options? Can recycling provide circularity? Certified Compostable packaging needs to be assessed as part of the whole waste hierarchy.
- Gain an understanding of how to define compostable packaging and the importance of the ABA verification program for certifications - AS4736 and AS5810.
- Learn why terms like degradable and biodegradable, without reference to certifications, are meaningless and must be avoided.
- Consider that all components of a compostable package need to be compostable, e.g. inks/coatings.
- Get the background on why oxy-degradable/fragmentable plastics will be phased out.
- Understand the importance of ABA logos on-pack to guide consumer awareness of the correct disposal method.
- Gain awareness of why not all bioplastics, e.g. plastics from renewable resources are compostable.
- Explore what happens to Certified compostable packaging and the processes used in Commercial Composting, whether it arrives via a kerbside Food Organics/Garden Organics (FOGO) bin, or from food service.
- Get a snap shot of some of the certified compostable packaging available today and ways that it may shape the future.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Packaging Technologists who are involved in designing and sourcing packaging used throughout the supply chain of a product.
- Brand Owners and Marketing teams who need to be part of the decision-making process, so they understand the selection criteria, options available and consumer communications.
- Designers wanting to become familiar with options that can be tailored to specific products.
- Process and Production Managers involved in handling product packaging.
Dr Carol Kilcullen-Lawrence FAIP, CPP
Australian Institute of Packaging (AIP)
Carol has over 30 years’ experience in the packaging industry, holding various roles including technical and marketing, and for the last 10 years, sustainability. With a background in Polymer Chemistry and her PhD gained at Loughborough University of Technology, UK, Carol has a good understanding of the science of the vast array of packaging materials - why each type may be selected to protect a product and carry vital information for the consumer, then be recoverable as a resource once discarded, plus a multitude of steps in between.
Acknowledged for her significant contribution to the industry, Carol has been awarded a Fellowship of the AIP, and has served on the board as Southern Director and the Immediate Past President. Carol is a lecturer on the University of Melbourne Master of Food and Packaging Innovation and has also attained the internationally accredited Certified Packaging Professional (CPP) designation that is recognised in over 60 countries.
Wednesday 10th of November 2021
9.00 am - 1.00 pm (AEDT - SYD, MEL)
* check your local start time - click here..
On-line via Zoom
AUD $250 + GST - AIP, APCO & ABA Members
AUD $300 + GST - Members of |AFGC | AIFST | FIAL | FOOD SA |FFWCRC | FPLMA | NRA | SPE
AUD $350 + GST - Non-Members
NB: A Tax Invoice will be sent upon receipt of your booking. Printed Training Course notes will be provided to each participant for future reference and use. Should you wish to cancel your registration after the printed training notes have been mailed, you will be required to return the notes (unopened), at your expense, to the AIP. The notes are not to be copied or distributed. NO CANCELLATIONS will be accepted after Thursday the 4th of November 2021. Replacements will however be accepted.
*All AIP training courses are internationally recognised and approved to attain Certified Packaging Professional (CPP) points.
.*CPP points are used to maintain your Certified Packaging Professional (CPP) credential..
Download Flyer (PDF) or register on-line below