AIP helping small to medium-sized businesses adopt the Australasian Recycling Label (ARL)
The Australian Institute of Packaging (AIP) is proud to be partnering on a new campaign to empower small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to start using the Australasian Recycling Label (ARL) on their packaging. The AIP is delivering this program in a four-way partnership with the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO), the National Retail Association (NRA), and the Australian Food and Grocery Council (AFGC). This project received grant funding from the Australian Government, which is committed to helping all SMEs put the ARL on their packaging and help customers recycle correctly.
What is the Australasian Recycling Label?
The Australasian Recycling Label or ARL is an on-pack label that provides easy-to-understand instructions about how to correctly dispose of all parts of a product’s packaging.
Using the ARL makes it easy to meet your business’s sustainability obligations and generate a range of benefits for your business, your customers and the environment.
The ARL is good for business:
- Introducing sustainable packaging and simple disposal instructions are easy and cost-effective ways to show your customers you are serious about sustainability.
- Cut through the recycling confusion and feel confident you are giving customers the right information by providing one clear, consistent and evidence-based label.
The ARL is good for consumers - Research shows consumers want clear recycling instructions and value the ARL on packaging.
- Three quarters of Australians want to see the ARL on all items of packaging and nearly half of Australians say the presence of the ARL would positively influence their decision to purchase your product.
The ARL is good for the environment:
- Helping your customers recycle correctly through use of the ARL is one of the simplest ways you can reduce your brand’s environmental impact.
- Recycling correctly reduces the amount of packaging that enters landfill or ends up as litter in nature, reduces the amount of contamination in the recycling system, reduces the amount of unnecessary carbon emissions, and increase the number of products made from reprocessed materials.
The ARL Marketplace
Launching in 2023, the ARL Marketplace is a new and convenient site for small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to source packaging that is ready to label with the Australasian Recycling Label (ARL).
When an SME visits the ARL Marketplace, they will be able to select from a range of ready-to-label packaging formats from participating vendors and suppliers.
The ARL Marketplace currently features a range of free educational tools and resources that provide SMEs with all the information they need to build more sustainable practices in their business.