Packaging Development Manager
Responsible for developing and managing delivery of packaging solutions for deployment of innovations and renovations into the category with sustainability top of mind. Will also ensure the level of quality, functionality, cost effectiveness and consumer/shopper/customer appeal are in line with the brand requirements.
Will play a key role in delivering packaging cost effectiveness initiatives, supporting supply chain operational issues, and ensuring that all artwork meets the needs of the category.
Will have effective cross-functional teamwork with Channel activation, Brand, Marketing operations, Supply Chain, Third Party Manufacturers, Supplier Management, external suppliers and other key functions.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Shaping and agreeing the technical objectives for packaging and deploy milestones of the project with stakeholders.
- Deliver on time in full all packaging activities, managing multiple projects often with short lead times, on time and in full, working closely with local and regional teams to ensure delivery of portfolio.
- Local set up of packaging materials meeting regional/global specifications.
- Ensuring technical specifications are in place for all packaging items, including localising regional or global specifications. Providing packaging data for creation of new product codes and maintenance of bills of materials.
- Be the voice of technology, help identify new trends and technology opportunities.
- Champion third party partnerships. Work closely with 3rd party suppliers, brief and help set up 3rd party packing activities.
- Development of sustainable packaging solutions and pprovision of data to assist in environmental reporting.
- Support to Quality and Consumer complaint management.
- Work closely as a team with local R&D, brand, supply chain, customer, procurement and other stakeholders.
- Design and Deploy secondary packaging, with a good understanding of shelf friendly packaging and distribution requirements that meet customer requirements.
- Working with local and global suppliers to validate and approve packaging components.
- Work with manufacturing and quality to ensure efficient roll out of innovation and ensure on-going quality of our products.
- Work with Supply Management & Quality on new/alternative supplier development.
- Organising, conducting, and reporting of supplier, factory, and transit trials to verify packaging component design, manufacture, packing and distribution.
- Be an active part of artwork briefing and approving, including localisation of artworks into locally usable printed packaging materials, and timely approvals through artwork management system.
- Ensure all barcodes meet GS1 and customer requirements.
- Graduate degree in Engineering or relevant Science/Technology.
- Able to manage stakeholders and complex projects effectively.
- Has experience in packaging development and uses this experience to coach, support and develop other team members.
- Be a pro-active problem solver
- Have the capacity to work autonomously to meet deadlines
- Be an excellent communicator (written and oral)
- Can influence
- Have an attention to detail and the capacity to work on several projects at the same time
- Have experience in an FMCG packaging role (ideally 3-5yrs)
You’re a project manager extraordinaire who loves seeing your ideas become a reality. You can run a project from concept to production with amazing attention to detail, ensuring it’s finished on time and with excellence.
You’ve got an eye for current consumer trends, both inside and outside your immediate remit. You love having a finger on the pulse locally and globally and using your knowledge to inform business decisions.
You’ve got strong commercial acumen and you love working alongside other teams to deliver great solutions that generate profit for impact.
You’re a dreamer and an innovator. For you, creativity is just as important as technical knowledge, and you love thinking out-of-the-box and creating remarkable solutions that stand out from the market.
You are a team player, and you love collaborating with others to see ideas become reality.
Your professional and persuasive yet diplomatic communication makes you a joy to work with and the cornerstone of any team.