TUESDAY 10TH OF SEPTEMBER 2019
The Australian Institute of Packaging (AIP) is pleased to advise that our first Foodbank Victoria Volunteer Packing Day will be held on the 29th of October at Yarraville. The AIP Team will be split over two sections – the Mixed Grocery Hamper Section and the Pick Pack Food Order Section.
With limited spots available for each packing day and a large list of Members interested, please ensure that you confirm your attendance as soon as possible. For anyone that is unable to attend the first packing day you will be added to a list for the next available packing day.
Mixed Grocery Hamper Section
The mixed grocery volunteering program involves physically packing hampers of food staples that have been donated by generous members in our community via workplace, school and individual food collections. These mixed grocery hampers are distributed via their network of 470 charities they support in Victoria, to pass on to the many disadvantaged Victorians currently experiencing food insecurity. Currently 1 in 7 people in Victoria lack access to nutritional and affordable food. This is why these mixed grocery hampers are vital to our community. These mixed grocery hampers will either be distributed directly to a family seeking support or used in meal programs or community pantry programs at the charity organisation.
Pick Pack Food Order Section
Each day Foodbank Victoria distributes approximately 30,000 kilograms of food and household items which are used in meal preparation programs, mobile food vans, community pantries and emergency food hampers to assist vulnerable Victorians. Each weekday, they rely on their regular and corporate volunteers to physically pack food orders for their charity partners. As the largest provider of food relief, Foodbank Victoria works with 470 registered charity partners across Victoria, ranging from large organisations such as the Salvation Army and St Vincent de Paul to smaller locally run community organisations.
Expectations for the Day
• Arriving at 9.00 am the AIP Team will be split over Mixed Grocery Hampers and Pick Pack Orders and your shift will be between 4 to 5 hours.
• The day will conclude at approximately 2.30 pm.
• The AIP team will be provided regular breaks including a 30-minute lunch.
• AIP Members to Bring their Own lunch.
• Comfortable clothing suitable for lifting, bending and repetitive movements is recommended.
• Shorts/pants and a t-shirt/jumper is ideal. Dresses and skirts are not recommended as they could catch on racking/stock.
• The site has small lockers (20cm x 30cm x 40cm) so please bring few personal items.
• Due to the physical nature of the work, this task is not suitable for anyone with muscular, skeletal or back injuries.
• This task may not be suitable for pregnant volunteers.
• The day involves significant amounts of lifting, twisting/turning and repetitive movements, packing products from a conveyor belt.
For your safety we require you to wear steel capped boots and gloves. If you do not have your own steel capped boots or gloves – we have a supply to lend to you on your volunteering day. Please bring socks to wear with our steel capped boots. Long, thick socks are recommended (sport/ankle socks are not recommended).
DOWNLOAD EVENT DETAILS PDF
PLEASE REGISTER BELOW