Primo Foods has a highly recognisable portfolio of products including bacon, ham, salami, continentals, cooked and fresh sausages, as well as fresh pork, and is the leading smallgoods player across both the retail and food-service channels, with a growing export business. Primo is unique for owning and operating manufacturing plants, packing facilities and distribution warehouses, allowing us to maintain the highest level of quality control in the industry.
About the Role:
The Junior Packaging Technologist Assists in the Implementation of the Company’s Innovation strategy and delivery of projects using a Stage & gate approach under the direction of the Packaging Development Manager.
- Work closely with the Packaging Development Manager and the Lead Product Developers to assist in delivering and commercialising packaging requirements for projects to meet business objectives & goals using a Stage & Gate approach
- Work with key stakeholders (Operations, Quality, Innovations, Procurement & packaging suppliers) to identify, develop, validate & commercialise cost optimized packaging solutions to improve efficiency, cost, quality, safety and shelf life of products
- Ensure that the cost optimized packaging solutions meet or exceed product safety and protection requirements while maximizing cost savings
- Manage packaging timelines for projects. Prioritise work schedule to ensure that tasks are completed within agreed timeframes and within project timelines
- Stay abreast of packaging trends, legal & regulatory requirements that apply to the relevant/applicable packaging and packaging/product interface
- Perform packaging line trials autonomously at company owned and contract manufacturing locations as needed.
- Conduct relevant package performance testing on packaging materials & components
- Work with external testing labs as appropriate
- Write and maintain accurate project trial and testing reports
- Conduct PREP & REDcycle assessments
- Assist in reviewing the packaging related aspects of artwork
- Develop and maintain current and accurate specifications for all packaging
- Degree or diploma qualified with relevant food science or meat/smallgoods experience
- Ideally 2+ years’ experience working in FMCG Food Packaging R&D, R&D, QA or Operations roles, ideally within the meat or smallgoods industry
- Knowledge of packaging, packaging materials, their related functions and interaction with products
- Demonstrated experience in packaging development and packaging related work
- Demonstrated experience in a similar role within the Food Industry
- Strong interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills
- Awareness of legislative requirements and industry developments
- Computer literacy, including Intermediate level of MS excel