At Primo Foods, we are on the start of an incredible journey. We’re a passionate team, driving a strategy that will catapult us from a smallgoods company, to a purposeful food brand, truly loved by consumers.
We are already a billion dollar business, and in millions of homes nationwide. But it’s not enough to just be in their fridges – we want to also be in their hearts.
We are truly local for local – strategy, production and execution starts and ends here, and we are not constrained by the overbearing processes and approvals that often cripple companies of our size.
And last but not least, we are building a culture to match the ambition. We’re looking for people who don’t judge a company by what it can bring them – but who are energised by rolling up their sleeves and being a part of the building process.
Primary Position Objectives:
Assist in the Implementation of the Company’s Innovation strategy and deliver projects using a Stage & gate approach under the direction of the Packaging Development Manager. These projects may involve new packaging development, value engineering, packaging sustainability, quality improvements and technical assistance to internal departments.
- Work closely with the Packaging Development Manager and the Lead Product Developers to assist in delivering and commercialising packaging requirements for projects to meet business objectives & goals using a Stage & Gate approach
- Work with key stakeholders (Operations, Quality, Innovations, Procurement & packaging suppliers) to identify, develop, validate & commercialise cost optimized packaging solutions to improve efficiency, cost, quality, safety and shelf life of products
- Ensure that the cost optimized packaging solutions meet or exceed product safety and protection requirements while maximizing cost savings and sustainability
- Manage packaging timelines for projects. Prioritise work schedule to ensure that tasks are completed within agreed timeframes and within project timelines
- Stay abreast of packaging trends, legal & regulatory requirements that apply to the relevant/applicable packaging and packaging/product interface
Process and Procedure
- Perform packaging line trials autonomously at company owned and contract manufacturing locations as needed.
- Conduct relevant package performance testing on packaging materials & components
- Work with external testing labs as appropriate
- Write and maintain accurate project trial and testing reports
- Conduct PREP & REDcycle assessments
- Assist in reviewing the packaging related aspects of artwork
- Assist with reporting requirement for APCO
- Develop and maintain current and accurate specifications for all packaging
It is agreed that the above is a summary of the key objectives of the role of Packaging Technologist and it is accepted that this description does not include the marginal functions of the role that are incidental to the performance of the job. This job description does not state or imply that the above duties and responsibilities are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the Packaging Technologist. The Role is required to perform any other job related duties as directed by the Company.
Excellence in JBS Australia:
- Live and promote the JBS Mission and Values
- Help us improve the way things are done and identify improvement opportunities
- Participate in staff review processes
- Know and be familiar with company processes, operating procedures and policies for your role
- Meet all requirements as stated in the Company Employee Handbook
Work Health & Safety:
- Report all workplace incidents, accidents and hazards immediately and rectify minor hazards that can be safely controlled
- Maintain awareness and comply with Primo Work Health and Safety practices
Key Relationships / Interfaces:
- Research & Development/Innovations team
- Quality Assurance team
- Manufacturing & Production (Ops) Team
- Sales & Marketing Team
- Engineering Team
- Finance Team
- Leadership Team
- Tertiary qualified with relevant packaging technology or food science.
- 3-5 years experience working in FMCG Food Packaging R&D roles, ideally within the meat or smallgoods industry
- Knowledge of packaging, packaging materials, their related functions and interaction with products
- Demonstrated experience in packaging development and packaging related work
- Demonstrated experience in a similar role within the Food an/or Beverage Industry
- Strong interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills
- Awareness of legislative requirements and industry developments
- Bring to the business a drive and passion for everything Packaging
- Bring to the business blue sky and horizon packaging opportunities to push the envelope of innovative solutions in the categories in which Primo Foods plays.
- Computer literacy, including Intermediate level of MS Office programs
- A detail-oriented individual, who is able to effectively contribute to a team environment
- Sensitive to numbers and procedures
- Excellent analytical and logical problem solving abilities
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to work with all types of meat and meat products
- Consciousness of safe work and OHS while working with high traffic of pallet jack and folk lift areas
- Ability to work well under deadlines and pressure
- The ability to prioritize tasks and be able to manage several projects and tasks simultaneously; and the ability to interface with all levels of management
- Business Practices and Ethics
- Approachable and enthusiastic
- Flexible and adaptable
- Able to work on own initiative and as a team player
- Good organizational skills with cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Good judgment and problem solving ability & is capable of understanding the impact of decision making on the business
Limits of Authority:
- Comply with all authority limits as per operating procedures, instructions and policies
- Capital Expenditure – may not acquire, loan or dispose of assets without approval
- May not introduce fundamental changes to business processes without approval
- May not make statements to the press / media without approval of the Corporate & Regulatory Affairs Manager
APPLY NOW – please email your resume to Nancy.Williams@primofoods.com.au