Packaging Developer – 24-month role
Aesop is a stimulating work environment in which we are challenged to do our best. Our company is creative and progressive; we employ people who share our passionate interest in quality, innovation, and multi-disciplinary thinking. We look for those who bring experience and a diversity of interests.
Aesop is on an exciting path of growth and transformation. In light of this, we are investing significantly in our Product function to cultivate category insights, drive continuous improvement initiatives and support our ambitious growth targets.
Purpose of the role
We are seeking a passionate and driven Packaging Developer with proven experience to join us for 24 months within our global head office based in Collingwood.
Reporting to the Senior Packaging Developer, you’ll be responsible for the delivery of key packaging projects in line with Aesop’s philosophy, packaging principles and positioning. This role is focused on the development and testing of packaging within the Fragrance category, to ensure sustainable growth for the business and to aid in the delivery of fragrance refill programs for our customers.
You will work closely with suppliers to develop both standard packaging components and Aesop designed items to support our product, sustainability and growth ambitions. You will work directly with internal stakeholders and cross-functions to ensure suitability of design, alignment to cost objectives and manufacturability/commercialisation. Strong communication, attention to detail and excellence in execution are key to this roles’ success.
- Develop business cases, robust project plans and viable packaging solutions (across both new products and existing product improvements); Drive project advancement through Aesop’s stage gate process
- Develop projects with a strong sustainability focus, ensuring clear communication of environmental credentials as a central aspect to packaging selection and direction
- Conduct and co-ordinate robust supplier briefings to ensure proposed solutions are aligned with Aesop’s needs and packaging objectives
- Prototype and test proposed packaging solutions across both internal (functional and user-testing) and external testing (through 3rd party suppliers)
- Validate packaging solutions (including but not limited to assessment of first-off approvals, and manufacture and filling line production feasibility)
- Maintain on-going records of packaging materials, including component specifications, quality documentation and engineering drawings to support manufacturability against Aesop’s strict standards
What we are looking for
- Experience within packaging development and design: ideally within the packaging, fast-moving consumer goods or design consultancy environment
- Degree qualifications in Packaging, Industrial Design, Science, Product Design Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Well established knowledge of the development of packaging componentry, including for example glass, aluminum, plastic, textiles and cardboard
- A sound technical understanding of packaging in terms of materials, testing, user performance requirements, manufacturing, and quality assurance processes
- Demonstrated design sensibility and technical design skills across packaging development process
- Experience with Life Cycle Analysis or alternative sustainability assessment methodologies as a decision-making tool
- Competence in reading and interpreting technical drawings and documentation.
- Demonstrated supplier management skills with the ability to foster successful working relationships
- Demonstrated knowledge of sustainability and impact factors for packaging
- Strong technical problem-solving ability and excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
What’s on Offer
At Aesop, we believe that the best people drive our business to continued success and so we take a holistic approach to employment, promoting employee wellbeing initiatives and encouraging deep connections with the local community through the Aesop Foundation, volunteering, matched giving programs. In addition, we offer:
- Flexible working arrangements (we value work-life balance)
- Generous product discount of up to 50% & complimentary product allocation
- Hybrid work model, we balance office-based in-person collaboration with remote working
- Team lunches, sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
- Parental leave and vaccination leave
- Individual training budget – strong focus on Learning and Development – access to the entire LinkedIn training library suite, and funded training programs
- Home office set-up reimbursements
- Short term incentive bonus programs to reward performance for applicable roles
- Access to Employee Assistance Program along with other wellbeing offerings including a complimentary Headspace subscription
Aesop is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the very best people by offering a creative and inclusive workplace where talent is truly recognised and rewarded. We are committed to promoting inclusion for all with the belief that diversity, inclusion and belonging plays an important role in the success of our organisation. We actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of our journey.